If you are studying at another Dutch university and you would like to take a minor or secondary subject at the School of Business and Economics (SBE), you can register as a secondary course student. To do this, you do not need to register via Studielink, but you will need to do so via Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam; see: Registration as a secondary course student (without a VUnet ID).
1. The following subjects are open to secondary course students:
- Minors: You can find out which minors the School of Business and Economics will be offering from September 2016 on this website. First, read the page listing the supplementary requirements for registration and then register as a secondary course student for the Bachelor’s programme in Economics and Business via register.vu.nl (see instructions below).
- Bachelor’s subjects: Subjects from the Bachelor’s programme in Economics and Business Economics and the Bachelor’s programme in Econometrics and Operations Research are open to secondary course students. If you would like to take a secondary course that is part of the Bachelor’s programme in Business Administration or International Business Administration (only third-year optional subjects are allowed), then you will need to choose the Bachelor’s programme in Economics and Business Economics on register.vu.nl; you will also find all the third-year optional subjects for Business Administration or International Business Administration listed there. For further details about registration, please see below.
- Master’s subjects: Check the list on register.vu.nl to find out whether the Master’s programme that the subjects fall under is available for secondary course students (see instructions below)
2. All students must meet the entry requirements for the courses that they wish to take. Make sure that your existing knowledge is sufficient to take courses at the School of Business and Economics. This can be ascertained using the course description in the study guide. If you are unsure about your existing level of knowledge, please contact the study advisors at the faculty: email@example.com
Registration as a secondary course student (without a VUnet ID)
If you have not previously been registered at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, you need to create an account via register.vu.nl. Follow these steps to do this:
1. Go to register.vu.nl and select ‘registration for secondary courses' in the drop-down menu. Click on ‘next step’; you will then need to select the degree programme in which you will register as a secondary course student (for all SBE minors, choose the Bachelor’s in Economics and Business Economics. The only course available outside Economics and Business Economics is the minor in Applied Econometrics, for which you will need to select the Bachelor’s programme in Econometrics and Operations Research). On this page, you can also select the academic year in which you want to take the course(s). Now click on ‘register’ and complete the form. Once you have submitted this form, two e-mails will be sent to the e-mail address that you have provided, one containing your VUnet ID and another with your password.
2. Log in to VUnet and click on ‘complete registration process’.
3. Answer all the supplementary questions, add the consent statement from your own Dutch university to demonstrate that you are able to take courses at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, and send the form. Please note: make sure that the names of the courses or the name of the minor you wish to take are included in the statement from your university.
4. Your form will then be automatically forwarded to the faculty. They will review your request and authorize you for participation if you are entitled to admission to the courses that you have chosen. You will receive an e-mail once authorization has been granted. You can already complete step 5 while you are awaiting confirmation, however.
5. Bring or send the original copy of the receipt for payment of tuition fees to the Central Student Administration of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, including your VU Amsterdam student number. You can request proof of payment from the student administration service at your own institution. You should do this as soon as you have paid the tuition fees to your own institution (issuing authorization also counts as payment) and you have registered for the relevant academic year.
6. Once you have completed the above steps, you will be registered and you can sign up for the relevant secondary course or minor via VUnet, under ‘Sign up for courses and examinations’. Please note the sign-up deadlines; it is possible to sign up from 15 July onwards.
Register as a secondary course student (if you already have a VUnet ID)
If you have previously been a student or secondary course student at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (or still are), please contact the study advisors to register, and include your student number. If you no longer have your student number, please include your date of birth along with the name of the degree programme associated with the relevant course(s), and the name(s) of the course(s) that you wish to participate in. The study advisor will restore your old VUnet account so that you can continue registration from step 2 (see above): firstname.lastname@example.org.
You should contact the Central Student Services Desk if you have any questions regarding proof of payment or if you encounter any problems registering for your minor. If you have any questions regarding the content of the secondary course that you wish to take, please contact the programme secretariat of the School of Business and Economics.