This page has been moved. You are being redirected.
- +31 20 59 86095
- faculteit der economische wetenschappen en bedrijfskunde ( ruimtelijke economie )
- Associate Professor
Eric Koomen is associate professor at the Department of Spatial Economics of the VU University Amsterdam in the Netherlands. His research interests include land-use change analysis, spatial modelling and policy support. In the past 10 years he managed many research projects related to these topics in the Netherlands and abroad. Eric has edited or co-authored three books and published numerous papers in scientific and applied journals and books. He teaches courses on ‘Land-use change’ and ‘Assessing the landscape’ in the Earth and Economics programme and is tutor for ‘GIS and Environmental Impact Assessment’ in the UNIGIS MSc programme. Furthermore, he is regular supervisor of BSc and MSc theses and he is co-supervisor of a PhD on the impacts of accessibility on land-use change.
Eric graduated in Physical Geography and got his first working experience with GIS at the nature conservation section of a water company. Subsequently he worked as a GIS-adviser at the Dutch Ministry of Transport and Water Management where he focussed on the use of GIS for environmental impact assessment. He managed projects for impact assessment, data collection and data construction. His work also involved the adaptation and construction of GIS-tools. In the past few years Eric worked part-time at the Geodan Next Company where he managed projects for regional authorities that inform planners about likely spatial developments, their potential impacts and possible policy alternatives.
land-use change analysis, spatial modelling and policy support
- ‘Land-use change’ and ‘Assessing the landscape’ in the Earth and Economics programme at VU University Amsterdam.
- ‘Urban environment lab’ at Amsterdam University College.
- ‘GIS and Environmental Impact Assessment’ in the postgraduate UNIGIS-course (UNIGIS website).
- Supervisor of BSc and MSc theses (overview of theses supervised in our group).
- Co-supervisor of a Ph.D on the impacts of accessibility on land-use change.
- Curriculum development for Geographic Information Science Education in Europe and South Asia (Intergis project).