This page has been moved. You are being redirected.
- +31 20 59 86141
- faculteit der economische wetenschappen en bedrijfskunde ( economics )
- Full Professor
Jan Willem Gunning is emeritus professor of development economics and board member of the Amsterdam Institute for International Development (AIID). He has been a staff member of the World Bank in Washington DC and professor at the University of Oxford where he directed the Centre for the Study of African Economies.
His research interests include impact evaluation, poverty, and the effect of risk on growth in rural societies.
He received an honorary doctorate from the University of Auvergne (France) for his leading role in economic research on Africa, and is a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW). He served as the Academy's general secretary in 2011-16.
Afscheidscollege (in Dutch)
- Evaluation of Development Programs: Randomized Controlled Trials or Regressions? World Bank Economic Review, vol. 28, 2014, pp. 432-445 (with Chris Elbers)
- Growth and Risk: Methodology and Micro Evidence, World Bank Economic Review, vol. 21, 2007, pp. 1-20 (with Chris Elbers and Bill Kinsey)
- Trade Shocks in Developing Countries, 2 volumes, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999 (with Paul Collier and associates)
- Explaining African Economic Performance, Journal of Economic Literature, vol. 37, 1999, pp. 64-111 (with Paul Collier)
- The IMF's Role in Structural Adjustment, Economic Journal, vol. 109, 1999, pp. F634-651 (with Paul Collier)
- Applied General Equilibrium Models for Policy Analysis, in: J. Behrman and T.N. Srinivasan (eds.), Handbook of Development Economics, vol. 3A, Amsterdam: North-Holland, 1995, pp. 2025-2107 (with Michiel Keyzer)